Tuesday, July 15

New Hobby

I just found a new hobby. Last Saturday, one of the women at our church organized a scrapbooking morning. You just have to bring some pictures and voila - you are ready to start your first album. There were seven ladies all in all. We were all newbies to this hobby except for A. who has been scrapbooking for a long time. She is an american and from what she told us, scrapbooking is big in the states.
So there you go as you can see in this picture you have lots and lots of papers to use. There are stickers and cut outs, different scissors and patterns to use. It was indeed overwhelming for me but thanks to dear A. I was able to gather my thoughts and start my first 2 pages. One of the most important things to start with is to know your theme - like vacation, baby, wedding, growing up. These were actually the themes used in our group.
I thought scrapbooking is really easy. Well it's easy if you have the creativity and the materials. I didn't know for example that you need to use special paper, albums and glue. It should all be acid free so your pictures are preserved. Have you seen old photo albums and noticed that the pictures turned brownish, yellowish? Well that's because of the acid in those albums. On top is the start of my book. At first it was just white paper and I wanted to use a bit of blue and sand in it because it is after all about beach fun!

And boy was I happy with the results! I would definitely go to the next scrapbooking mornings. We plan to meet every second Saturday of every month. A. has all the materials and we just pay her €2.50 per page. In the long run if I see that I would continue with the whole scrapbooking then I would just start collecting my own things. Below is the final product. Pictures were taken in Boracay, Philippines. I've left some spaces too so I can do some writing on it as well. What a nice way to preserve memories the old fashion way :)

9 comments:

Layrayski said...

I'd like to try scrapbooking. Sounds fun! But... maybe I better not. I've been collecting hobbies that didn't amount to anything except this photography and blogging business. hehe

I like it that you showed pictures--Boracay! Have you ever been to Mindanao? are you from Mindanao?

Anonymous said...

hello layraski, nope i come from baguio, we're originally from manila pero my parents decided to move to baguio, ayon. rest is history. i've only been to davao (4 days) and cotabato (day visit).. would love to come again...
my former classmate from college is from butuan-- mabel sanchez, do you know her? probably not :) the world is not that small

Kayni said...

Cool! I like it! I do keep a scrapbook too, but I haven't had the time lately. I still have a box of photographs to work on. The problem is when.

Our Love Story said...

my gosh toni, dat was soooohhhh nice for a newby ha! am fascinated with scrapbooking too.... only thant i couldn't find enough time to start but i have pieces of materials i bought from national bookstore.... haaayyy cute na cute kasi ako sa mga little stuffs na nilalagay... hehehe! it's really a fun and creative way of keeping memories!

take care toni and regards to V!

Anonymous said...

hi kayni - yup the pictures i used here were taken 5 years ago. i still have a lot to scrapbook in case i would stay with this hobby. remains t be see ;)

hi jenny - you should start using them. since you already have some materials ;) have fun and let me know if you come up with something ;)

Gattina said...

Since I am blogging I also learned a lot of scrapbooking a word I had never heard before and it's true in America it's a real must ! I don't understand, with the thousand albums I have laying around I am happy to be able now to put all my pictures on a CD and watch them on TV or computer !
BTW cat Kim didn't get a haircut, but she has such long hairs that there were a lot of knots in her fur and dead hair too. With her little tongue she cannot clean up herself completely and she runs away when she sees one of us with scissors or a brush ! So I was more than surprised that she really enjoyed the brushing at her "hairdresser" lol !

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on cat kim, i thought that was unusual to give cats a haircut. what do you know, i've seen on german tv that they make sweaters from dog's hair ;) anything is possible nowadays :)

raqgold said...

i used to do that, but when with two kids now, salpak na lang ng salpak o kaya naman andun at hindi pa rin ma develop yung ibang pictures, hehe. but i am sure the girls would love to help me with scrapbooking now.

Anonymous said...

hello raq - uy that would be a nice mother- daughter thing to do ;) i'm sure the girls will love it.
yup, you said it, i have lots of pictures that need organizing or developing ;(