Tuesday, November 20

Flea Market 101

My first ever experience at the Flea Market last Sunday was very interesting. The V and I had really lots of fun observing the crowd and dealing with the buyers and the lookers (they gave the item a brief look and pfff -they're off to the next stall) and touchers (they touched and poked on whatever was there but didn't buy or say anything at all). Now there are 2 kinds of buyers. You have the professional ones they haggle till you almost give the item away for free so they will leave you alone and you can have your peace of mind back! The other one is probably like me - they take a look, ask for the prize, think about a second and hands out the money immediately. If they ever make a bid to get the price down, they look too nervous and act that they don't even believe that they are haggling. Of course knowing this type of people (like me) I was a bit gentle with them and gave them a fair prize from the very beginning. This spared them from getting into a difficult situation and I just hope I will get the karma back when it's my turn to shop again.

The flea market (Flohmarkt in german) was 2.5 hours long but was actually in full swing for only 1.5 hours. It turned out that there were 2 other flea markets in the next town. When I say next town that would be about 10-15 minutes walk from each other!!! Nevertheless I was very satisfied with my sale I made about €100. €20 went to my friend who asked me to sell some of her stuff and another €10 was for rent leaving me €70.Hey you wouldn't find such money on the street!! I told The V that I want I to invite him for dinner but he declined and told me to put the money in my airplane. I have such a small airplane where I save coins or small bills. We would probably crash the plane for our next trip somewhere. What with our upcoming mortgage - those trips will have to stop for a while.

I almost got scared that 2 of my buyers would fight. See that little pointy little red thing just in front of me in the picture? That's a small wooden pinnochio among some of the things my friend asked me to sell. A lot of ladies asked for it but never actually bought it until one got serious, I was just giving it to her when another one was also handing me the money. Oh no! For this silly pinocchio a war need not be declared! I asked The V. who among the two asked first - he was clueless of course! The man behind the lady was just too relieved his wife will not get it. Finally it was settled - thank goodness, since then I decided to pay attention to every inquiry. You can see the pinocchio again on the very first picture. This little pinocchio doesn't actually do anything. I thought it was a nut cracker. It was a pinocchio - no more, no less.

The moment I told The V. I would sell stuff at the flea market, his only reaction was - well I hope you won't be buying there too. Otherwise it would be useless to sell when you would end up buying more. Well I kept my promise, I stayed in my little corner almost the whole time so I won't be tempted to buy some kind of pinocchio items myself. The farthest I went was to go to my colleagues accross. Beside me on the left side is Rita, my flea market trainor. She gave me all the tips and tricks of a true flea market seller. Danke Rita! Sorry the picture is not so sharp but this is all I have to document the exciting event. The V. needs more training with the phone camera. The guy at the corner is one of the parents at work. Come to think of it, he said he didn't want to be photographed, but look at how he smiled - that doesn't look like as if he doesn't want to be photographed at all! Don't you think so?? Well for those of you who haven't tried flea market selling or buying, well it's about time you do.

6 comments:

Gattina said...

Be happy that I didn't come to your stall, learning haggeling in Egypt made me to an expert and you would have given me the things for free only to get rid of me, lol ! There haggling is really tough ! Nothing against the timid haggeling here in Europe ! Even in southern Italy ! I see you had a lot of fun and I think I will do it again maybe in spring when it's warmer !
BTW you don't get dizzy while watching the whirling Dervish but after his show he asked some people to try so he gave them one of his skirts and they whirled around max 3 times and they were catched by the animation team helpers otherwise they would have fallen on the stage, then they walked away like drunken sailors but with a big grin on their faces !

Gattina said...

PS. I wanted to buy a silver bracelet with nacre his price was 100 €. One hour and a half later I got it for 25 ! They take their time, offer you tea and tell you all the miseries which would happen to them if they leave the wanted item for such a low price. Bankruptcy included. There time is obviously no money, lol !

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed at your will power! If that was me I would definitely have checked out all the other stalls and go home with more goods bought than sold.
Hey,have you turned a new leaf? I thought you belonged to the first type of hagglers.. the professional one! Yong tipo bang kung tumawad wala na sa puhunan...hehehe...

Vlado&Toni said...

Hi Doris,
Yup I have become shy when it comes to haggling!! Well I was not really good at all from the start, my mom used to scold me a long time ago - whenever she sends me to the market - I don't get the same prices like she does.

Anonymous said...

ako mali mali daw mag offer ng price pag tumawad sabi ng nanay ko. wala daw kuwenta. hahaha.

Anonymous said...

hi eyna, naku you mentioned it. same with mom. irita pagka galing ko sa market, lugi raw ako!!!