Wednesday, April 9

You know you're German if...

I came across this in a friend's Facebook bulletin board. I've been living here for almost 7 years..(whew,time flies indeed). The 21st of May is my seventh year anniversary and I can fairly say I have become germanized in one way or another.

You know you're German if...
You separate your trash into more than five different bins.
Your front door has a sign with your family name made from salt dough.
You carry a "4You" backpack.You eat a cold dinner at 6pm.
You call your cell phone "handy" and a projector "beamer".
You have no problems with nude beaches and saunas.
You have asked your Asian-American friend, "No, but where are you *really* from?"
You have gotten splinters from environmentally friendly toiled paper. You call an afternoon stroll "Nordic Walking".
You are shocked when you have to pay for dental care. (we do pay dental care now and other medical bills inspite of the insurance, i think there was a time they didn't pay for it.)
You own a pair of jeans in a color other than blue.
People start talking about Hitler and Hofbräuhaus when you tell them where you're from. (people start to ask me if all germans are all racists like Hitler when I tell them where I live)
Tenth grade was all about dancing lessons.
You work 40 hour weeks and have 6 weeks of vacation a year, but complain about hard times.
Your childhood diet consisted of Alete and Zwieback.
Your college diet consisted of Miracoli and Döner.You were educated about sex by Dr. Sommer.
You yell at people for jaywalking.
You grew up watching "Löwenzahn" and "Die Sendung mit der Maus". And Baywatch.
You think college tuition is an outrage.
You routinely go 100mph on the highway and tailgate heavily.
On your last day of high school you made your teachers sing Karaoke and jump through hoops.
You wear brown leather shoes.
Your first audio tape was Benjamin Blümchen and Bibi Blocksberg.
You have ended an English sentence with "..., or?".
You can tell at least one Manta joke.
You're a college student in your 11th year.
Your first sexual experience was on Sat1, Saturday night at 11pm. (this is the time they show erotic films on tv)
You spent hours in school learning to pronounce "th".
You expect chocolate in your shoes on December 6th.
You complain that in other countries everything is dirty (sorry it is really clean here, I can't complain - have you read the first sentence? but I heard it's even cleaner in Switzerland!!)

I think I can add some more but let's leave it at that for the moment
.

4 comments:

Gattina said...

OMG !!!! It hasn't changed ! Except a little modernized (TV, handy, sex education) and that old Hitler has persecuted me my whole life !! I thought at least in the next generation that would finish !

Anonymous said...

You have moved in to your new home! Congratulations! I hope you'll have a very happy life there :-)

Thanx for stopping by leaving the kind comment about the loss of my Mom.

I'm kind of slowly back to blogging.

Well, some points of that list could as well do for us Swedes... *giggles*

Gattina said...

After a little while, when you only keep the good souvenirs of your cat in mind you will be ready to take home another one, especially now that you have your own house ! As the proverb says a home without cat is not a home !

GingGoy said...

fun post...i have to start looking for a long lost "you know you're Filipino when..." :P